Immigration Lawyers

ยฟWhat is Asylum & Refugees?

Asylum in the United States may be sought for foreign citizens in the U.S. who have been persecuted or fear persecution in their homeland if they return.

The persecution that they suffer or will suffer must be because of one's race, religion, nationality, membership in a social group, or one's political beliefs.

If you fall in this category, you must apply for asylum with one year of entering the U.S. Being granted asylum will allow you to remain in this country and obtain your legal permanent residency or "greencard" in one year and you may be able to naturalize in four years.

When you apply for asylum, you can also include a spouse and unmarried children under 21 on your application if they are living in the U.S. If they are not, you can petition to bring them to the U.S. once you are granted asylum.

You may apply for work authorization (or work permit) 150 days after you have submitted your asylum application.

If you have additional questions or need more information call us today at (818)506-0070 Free consultation with an Immigration Lawyer. Also, we offer payment plans.